Sunday, September 25, 2022

COVID-19: No more visitation to Achimota school for two weeks – GHS

The Ghana Education Service and the Ghana Health Service have partially locked down the Achimota School in the Greater Accra Region following the detection of the COVID-19 Delta strain in the school.

The school authorities have been directed not to allow anyone to visit the premises nor allow anyone to go out for the next two weeks.

This directive comes after 135 students tested positive for the new strain of COVID-19 on campus.

Director-General of the Ghana Education Service, Professor Kwesi Opoku Amankwa, has asked parents not to panic, assuring that measures have been put in place to ensure the safety of the students.

“I want to assure the entire country, especially for parents who have their wards in Achimota that every measure has been taken to ensure that we contain the spread of the virus.”

The Director of Public Health at GHS, Dr. Franklin Asiedu Bekoe, in a Joy News interview also said day students of the school are supposed to stay at home for the next two weeks.

“We are not going to allow any visitation in the school for the next two weeks. The day students are going to be kept at home for the next two weeks, while those who are positive [for COVID-19] are going to be kept in isolation,” he said.

The GHS confirmed the detection of the highly contagious variant of Coronavirus – Delta, at the Achimota School, on Sunday, July 4, 2021.

According to GHS, three students of the school presented influenza-like symptoms at the school’s sickbay between June 14 and 16, 2021.

They were tested in line with laid down protocols, and all three results turned out positive.

They subsequently isolated, and all contacts were placed under mandatory quarantine on campus.

Meanwhile, initial calls for the closure of the school were rejected.

For instance, the Executive Secretary of Education thinks tank, Africa Education Watch, Kofi Asare, said the situation didn’t require the closure of the school.

“There are protocols that are used in closing schools…I think we are not at the level of closure of schools. So I think that the existing protocols, i.e. testing and isolation and the rest, should be fine. I don’t think this is a cause for panic. We only need to go back to the basics and do what we were doing right.”

Previous articleCommittee probing Ejura disturbances begins sitting today The three-member ministerial committee tasked to investigate the disturbances at Ejura in the Ashanti Region that saw soldiers open fire on protestors last week will have its first sitting today, Tuesday, July 6, 2021. The sittings will be held at the Prempeh Assembly Hall in Kumasi from 10: 00am to 4.00pm each day. The members of the committee are Justice George Kingsley Koomson as the Chairman; Security Analyst, Dr. Vladimir Antwi-Danso, and the Executive Director of Penplusbytes, Juliet Adiema Amoah. They will receive evidence from witnesses to ascertain the cause of the violence which left two persons dead and four wounded. One of the four wounded persons, a 16-year-old boy, has had one of his legs amputated. The committee will sit every day except on Sunday. It has already met the Ejura Traditional Council, the leadership of the Zongo Community, and affected families. Speaking to journalists, the Chairman of the Committee, Justice George Kingsley Koomson, said an invitation has been also already been extended to some other witnesses. He also urged persons with evidence to turn up at the sitting to assist the committee. Background The violence occurred during protests that followed the death to a social media activist, Ibrahim Muhammed. Ibrahim Muhammed, alias Kaaka, died after he was attacked by a mob on June 27 while returning home. He’s believed to have been killed because of he was critical of the government. The 45-year-old was noted to be vocal on both local and national issues using his Facebook page. Police in the Ashanti Region have since arrested three persons in connection with his death and put them before the court. Ibrahim Muhammed was buried on Tuesday, June 29, 2021, alongside the two others who died in the protest.
Next articleArmy field commander, Medical Superintendent to appear before Ejura Committee today

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Articles